#3 Time to focus and meditate

Top tip number 3 helping you to become a strong, healthy and happy dancer is meditation.

Meditation is having a bit of a face lift at the moment. More people are understanding what it actually is and reaping the benefits by daily practise. Meditation has been practised by people since since time began. Meditation or what I like to call it, quiet time, allows you to stop and connect with yourself. What you choose to meditate on is up to you, but I find that focussing on your breath quietens your thoughts and gives deep relaxation benefits.

No one can conitnue to give out and perform if they do not have time to fill up and restore. Scientific research has found that the brain actually changes and is better able to cope with the pressures of life through daily meditation. Our brains begin to re-wire by this practise and over time can dramatically change your outlook effecting your whole life for the better.

Why would you not do it then?!?

Read More»

#2 Replenish with Protein – Top 5 tips for being a strong, healthy, happy dancer!

Last week I gave my first top tip on being a strong, healthy and happy dancer which was all about body massage. This week it is all about how to restore your body with wholesome nutrition. It may be tempting to grab a Mars bar or a high cafeine sports drink inbetween rehearsals and when you only have the local cafe to hand, options are limited. The problem with grabbing a sugary or cafeiene based drink/food, is that the boost only lasts a very short time i.e. 30 minutes average if that. It also gives you alot of other E numbers (which are nasty chemicals) and excess sugar which you probably do not need. The sugar you do not use is stored and eventually converted into Fat if your body does not need it. So excess weight can be put on just down to what you snack on in those 5 minutes.

Read More»

Top 5 tips for being a strong, healthy, happy dancer!

If you are a dancer, life can be an exciting whirlwind full of travelling, performing, auditions and rehearsals. The perks of the job are incredible and to everyone watching you perform, life seems to be one big ‘high’. The truth is thought that there are low points to this profession which are made even more complex by the nature of the art form and the current performing arts and entertainment industry.

The psychological and physiological strains on a dancer are acute and should not be ignored. If you are a dancer, work with them or have family/friends who are, action should be taken in managing these pressures in order to have a strong, balanced mind and body.  This in turn will produce happy, more fulfilled performers who have the energy to reach their full potential and at the same time give enjoyment to their audiences for longer.

Read More»

Blast off body fat in 10 minutes

With the sunshine finally here, it has probably got you thinking about finally having to strip off our jumpers and jeans. With the sun and the warmer weather (which is great!), for some of us wearing fewer clothes is daunting. Whether it is your arms, tummy or legs, most of us have an area or two where we feel conscious and if truth be told, we would rather not reveal in the public!Holidays are also on our minds as we all know the feeling when on your first day at the beach or next to the pool, you reveal your white wobbly bits and you think everyone around you is looking and being blinded by the sun bouncing off your backside!

The other thing in the summer is that no one really wants to exercise for long periods of time indoors unless the air conditioning is really good. Shorter workouts are more appealing as lets face it, when the sun is out in England, we want to be too as it does not last long!

Read More»

Role models, inspiration and dreams

This is slightly different to what I usually write about, but I have been thinking a lot recently about role models in Society and who we aspire to be like. In today’s Society, we are bombarded with certain images and ways of life which are the ‘norm’ and we are subtly told what we should look, act or be like. On top of this, much of the western media is centred around the rich and famous who are held up on a pedestal, whether they like it or not. The problem is this can influence and shape our dreams which can become shallow, unrealistic and meaningfulness.

Read More»
Page 10 of 23« First...89101112...20...Last »
© Copyright Rebecca Dalby 2015